Help Us Remember

If you’d like to contribute, please email us at celebratingsagan@gmail.com with your thoughts, memories, pics, links, excerpts, etc. Or just request it and you'll be added as a contributor. Thanks.

12.12.2006

In an often frustrating world, voices from people like Carl Sagan help me to know that there are people out there that see our world in a beautifully rational way.

I work in the medical field and everyday I see lives saved by the collective reasoning of scientists and doctors using the scientific method.

Every now and then someone gets better and gives the credit to 'God.' If that is comforting to the patient, so be it. However, if we collectively thought this way, who would eradicate Polio, discover antibiotics, and invent the MRI? Perhaps these advancements are inspired by a 'God' who 'works in mysterious ways.'

Show me the evidence, and I can accept that. I believe that without the application of skepticism, there is no room for advancement.

Carl Sagan put into words the feelings that I developed while learning about Science.

Sagan wrote "The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look Death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

I have found no scripture that speaks to me as much as these words.

Jesse from Ohio